On February 7, something truly remarkable took place in the world of sports that can provide an opportunity to learn from and even mimic a powerful model for extraordinary achievement. At the age of 43, significantly older than most professional athletes in contact sports, Tom Brady led the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to become Super Bowl (World) Champions in NFL Football. Even more importantly, this was his 7th Championship as the starting quarterback and leader.
Brady had previously been with another team and upon joining his new team he elevated EVERY aspect of management, players, practice, preparation, executive etc. Tampa Bay had not won for 20 years prior and became Champion in one year with Tom Brady. You may not be a sports fan, or an NFL fan, but you should be interested in how he did it.
We think his attitude and actions perfectly fit our model of 8 STEPS TO PRIME – HIGH PERFORMANCE. Furthermore, we think you and your organization can do the same. It is simple but not easy. Let’s demonstrate. Here are the 8 steps:
1. PREPARE – don’t just start talking …… Have a Plan that includes:
a. VISION & PURPOSE
d. KEY PLAYERS & ROLES
Once all of that is clear – START TALKING and DON’T STOP TALKING (unless you’re actively listening to others).
2. INITIATE CHANGE – even good change is often resisted by others but without change there is no creating a vision worth having. Change can be risky so be prepared to risk and achieve.
3. Design a CULTURE that attracts fosters and sustains greatness. This is so important that the design and implementation will be the source of success or failure.
4. CULTURE WORTH HAVING –The Leader(s) for Prime – High Performance must have key components of DAILY LIFE and INTERACTION or the end result will be substantially short of goals:
a. MUTUAL TRUST and RESPECT – this must be addressed and enforced constantly – until it becomes habit.
b. Mutual Trust & Respect will lead to OPEN, COLLABORATIVE efforts that bring forth innovation and job satisfaction.
5. COMMUNICATE CONSTANTLY – speak, listen, coach those that stray or sabotage, listen some more, keep speaking the VISION and PURPOSE.
6. RECRUIT, INFLUENCE AND ENROLL – internally, externally, you can’t do it alone and if your culture and vision/purpose are strong, compelling and clear – you won’t have to.
7. VALUES and AUTHENTICITY – make a difference, have integrity and create the FOUNDATION for Long-term SUSTAINABILITY.
8. REWARD your COMMUNITY – praise, acknowledgement, compensation, rewards, bonuses, sharing MATTER. Be abundant and generous in every aspect and you leave a LEGACY.
To illustrate our model:
8 STEPS TO PRIME, HIGH PERFORMANCE
2. INITIATE CHANGE
3. CREATE CULTURE
4. CULTURE WORTH HAVING
5. COMMUNICATE CONSTANTLY
6. RECRUIT, INFLUENCE, ENROLL
7. VALUES/ AUTHENTICITY
8. REWARD YOUR COMMUNITY
Be a High-Performance Leader. Recommendation, read my book The TAO of HIGH-PERFORMANCE LEADERSHIP written by Jack Zwissig.
Tom Brady and our 8 STEP model
1. PREPARE – From the first day he joined his new team, Tom Brady spoke about a NEW VISION and NEW GOALS. Most of the previous players simply wanted to improve from the previous year. He envisioned a World Championship and talked about how to achieve it.
2. INITIATE CHANGE – “If you always think and act the ways you’ve always thought and acted, you’ll GET what you’ve always GOTTEN”. Brady talked about the necessity for sweeping changes.
3. DESIGN a CULTURE – Culture is the SOURCE of everything – how we treat each other and work together. Tampa Bay Buccaneers became a TEAM, not just a bunch of players.
4. CULTURE WORTH HAVING – All teams have a culture but High-Performance Leaders, like Tom Brady, emphasize Mutual Trust and Respect. Players are expected to show up on time, prepared, ready to contribute. Blame and finger-pointing are not allowed; being OPEN and COLLABORATIVE are.
5. COMMUNICATE CONSTATNLY – The vision of being World Champions was consistently addressed, players and coaches all had input and were listened to. Those that began to stray or sabotage were coached to get back on board.
6. RECRUIT, INFLUENCE & ENROLL – It is not an accident that 3 of the top performers in the Super Bowl game joined the team AFTER Tom Brady signed. He recruited them and they wanted to be on his winning team.
7. VALUES and AUTHENTICITY – Tom Brady genuinely cares about his colleagues and honestly expresses his caring constantly. He encourages everyone to make a difference to the team and community. He leads, they follow.
8. REWARD YOUR COMMUNITY – It is a common sight to see Tom Brady and others offer encouragement in challenging situations and praise for achievement. He is well-known for receiving a lower salary so other players can also be paid appropriately.
To be clear, we are not claiming that we coached Tom Brady. However, we are saying that his attitudes and actions that produced PRIME HIGH PERFORMANCE for himself and his teammates directly correlates with the critical aspects of our
8 STEPS TO PRIME HIGH PERFORMANCE.
Our years of experience show it is SIMPLE but not EASY.